New York Litigation Attorney,
Richard A. Fogel, Esq.
Long Island Law Firm
Areas of Practice:
- Insurance Coverage
- Toxic Tort
- Environmental Litigation
- Product Liability
- Commercial Litigation
- Lead Paint Defense
- Retailer Litigation
- Benzene Litigation
- Mold Litigation
- 2nd Circuit – 9/14
- New York – 1/88
- US Supreme Court – 4/97
- New Jersey – 12/87
JD, Fordham University School of Law (May, 1987). Commentary Editor, Fordham ILJ, Articles Editor; Fordham Envt’l Law Reporter.
MS, Oceanography, Marine Sciences Research Center, SUNY Stony Brook, 1982. Graduate Assistantship; Graduate Research Assistantship.
BS, Marine Sciences (Biology), Southampton College of LIU, 1980. Presidential Scholarship; Regent’s Scholarship; Dean’s List; Faculty Honors; News Editor.
Previous Work History:
- Adjunct Professor of Business Law, Litigation, Nassau County Community College, Garden City, N.Y. (2013-present)
- Partner, Fischbein Badillo Wagner Harding, Melville, N.Y., 1992-2004 (Merged with McMillan, Rather, Bennett & Rigano, P. C. in 3/2003);
- Attorney, Rivkin, Radler, Dune & Bayh, Uniondale, N.Y., 1987 to 1991;
- Research Scientist, Marine Sciences Research Center, Stony Brook, N.Y.,1983-84;
- High School Science Teacher, St. Dominic’s HS, Oyster Bay, N.Y., 1982-83.
Membership in Associations, Committees, etc.:
- Former Chairman, Babylon Environmental Conservation Commission.
- Member, Suffolk County Bar Ass’n, Defense Research Institute, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance.
State Bar or Law School Lecture, or other CLE programs in which you have participated:
- CLE Lecturer, Introduction to Product Liability Litigation and Claims Handling (Claims and Litigation Management Alliance program), Swiss Re, Overland Park, KS, Oct. 2014;
- Medicare Lien Issues for Defense Counsel, (Nat’l Academy of Continuing Legal Education videotaped, August 2014) and (27th Medical Device Seminar, Medmarc Insurance Panel Counsel, Vail, CO., June 2014);
- Lecturer, Selected Coverage Issues In CGL Insurance, Long Island RIMS Chapter, Woodbury, NY, March 2004;
- Coverage Issues in Mold Litigation, Sterling Education Seminars, Farmingdale, NY, October 2003;
- Lecturer, Risk Management Issues for Small Businesses, SUNY Farmingdale, Small Business Institute, Nov. 2002;
- Lecturer, Settlement Negotiations and Strategy, Travelers Insurance, July 2002;
- CLE Lecturer, Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Commercial General Liability Insurance (But Were Afraid To Ask), March 2005, USEPA Region 2, July 2004, Fischbein Badillo Wagner Harding, February 2002, Greater New York Insurance, Dec. 2002, Herzfeld & Rubin, P.C. April, 2002, Sentry Insurance, March 2002, Suffolk County Bar Assn., February 2002;
- Speaker, Current Legal Issues For Technology Businesses, MRBR Seminar, June 2000;
- Speaker, Recent Developments in CERCLA and Toxic Tort Litigation, NYSBA, April 2000;
- Speaker, Toxic Torts, Pollution, Asbestos and Lead Liability, UJA-Federation Young Insurance Division, February 1993.
- Fogel, Risk Management for Small Businesses, N.Y.L.J. (June 16, 2004) at 4, col.3;
- Fogel, Risk Management for Small and Mid-Size Businesses, ABSCI Newsletter (July 2003);
- Fogel, Settlement Negotiation and Strategy, 50 Risk Management Magazine 18 (February 2003);
- Fogel, Why a New Ethics Rule Could Help Firms Limit Billable Hour Requirements, 15 Acct’g and Fin’l Planning for Law Firms 5 (No. 5 May 2002);
- Fogel, Limit Billable Hour Requirements, N.Y.L.J. (March 14, 2002) at 2, col.3;
- Fogel, Definition of Single Loss In Environmental Claims Under Treaty Reinsurance, Risk Management Magazine (February 2002) at 7;
- Fogel, Sept 11: Risk Management Lessons Learned, N.Y.L.J. (November 2, 2001) at 1;
- Fogel, Appellate Panel Saves Notice Defense for Single Family Lead Paint Cases, N.Y.L.J. (October 20, 1998) at 1;
- Fogel, Litigation and Lead Paint Claims, Risk Management Magazine (February 1995) at 38;
- Fogel, Defense Can Chip Away at Lead Paint Lawsuits, Best’s Review, Property/Casualty Edition (November 1994) at 98;
- Fogel, Do Not Judge a Book by its Cover: Mega – Site Environmental Coverage Litigation Is Not Inherently More Cost And Time Efficient Than Single Site Cases, Mealey’s Litigation Rep., Ins. (May 19, 1992) at 16;
- Fogel, Grey Market Goods and Modern International Commerce: A Question of Free Trade, 10 Fordham Int’l L.J. 308 (1986-87).
Other honors, activities and personal notes:
- Notable Case: Attorney represented the prevailing appellate/defendant in Andrade v. Wong, 251 A.D. 2d 609, 675 N.Y.S. 2d 112 (2nd Dep’t 1998) (lead paint);
- Diplomat, National Institute of Trial Advocacy (8/93).
- Trained Assistant Scoutmaster, Suffolk County Council, Boy Scouts of America (2003).
- Squadron Education Officer, Great South Bay (NY) Power Squadron (since 2002).
- Certified Boating Course Instructor, United States Power Squadron. Scuba Diver (1976), Nat’l Assoc. of Underwater Instructors.